I have not found the time to update this blog since we returned from our holiday in Melbourne. Chris went away to Solomon Islands for nearly three weeks and I had university assignments to complete. But I am working on an update now!
We had a great week in Elwood - which is a suburb next to St Kilda. We were there Grand Prix week, but we were far enough away from the action that it was novel to hear the cars occassionally, and not annoying. We rented a two bedroom Art Deco house that was really cute. We had a back courtyard with a bbq and all. Lots of friends came to visit. Pictured above are Chris and his friend Adam in their matching Penguin of Death t-shirts. We brought those home from Oxford last year.
We had friends over for a bbq and pretended that we really did own a place with a bbq out the back. Alesia loved being able to play outside whenever she wanted, and we decided that we need to live somewhere with a back yard sooner than later. The other thing we decided is that there seems to be so many cafes in Elwood and St Kilda that every person can almost have their own. But everyone we visited was pretty good. I was impressed with daily soy chai latte with honey. This is not something that I have seen available in Sydney, but I have to confess that last week the cafe at Sydney Adventist Hospital caught up and I got a passable version!
We did lots of walking along the foreshore, as we were only a few blocks from the beachfront. We have to admit though that Melbourne's bayside is not a patch on Sydney Harbour, or beaches. But we were not in Melbourne for the beach. We didn't do much swimming, but Alesia enjoyed the sand. Her walks along the beach tired her out so much the afternoon nap made a reappearance.
We had lots of vists from family members. Above is Keira being fascinated by the swirls on her Uncle Ed's t-shirt. My Mum looked after the girls while Chris and I went out for our 9th wedding anniversary. We couldn't decide what we wanted (too many options!) so ended up at Soul Mamma's on the beach. Mum didn' t have to work very hard with the two girls, as both were in bed when she got there and didn't wake up while she was there.
We had scrummy food and enjoyed the logical Melbourne streets and the lack of traffic (in comparison to Sydney). I got a rare hour to myself where I got to wander the Sunday St Kilda market.