Sunday, May 11, 2008

Qualified to be Missionaries

Hi
I apologise to anyone who has been checking the blog and wondering where we are. We are back from Thailand now and I hope to get back into my semi-weekly update routine - after I submit my last essay for this semester on Tuesday!

In the meantime, here are some photos and brief captions about the remainder of our time at Mission Institute. All photo credits go to Antony Jose, Country Director of ADRA Azerbaijan, who kindly provided access to many of the photos he took during the three weeks. I will get around to downloading the photos from my camera as soon as I can. As I wasn't behind the camera in these shots we have a rare collection of photos with Michelle in them :-)



This is basically the position Chris and I sat for the entire three weeks, but not always with our laptops open at the same time. Of course, after 10 years working together in ADRA this is now the most effective way for us to communicate with each other. We have moved from MSN, through to Yahoo and now we find it easier to use Skype :-)



Somehow we managed to do enough work and behave appropriately that the organisers decided that we were worthy to receive our participation certificate. In a future post I will describe an incident in Beijing where I had to use all the cross-cultural conflict resolution skills that I have learned, so the certificate is worthwhile :-)



As is usual at these sort of things, one night we had a banquet and talent night. All the Australians present (two couples) were at a loss at to what cultural talents we had to share. Chris and I decided that it would be better to get all the kids involved in the "Hoppity Song"

To listen to an excerpt of this family favourite just "control+click" on the link above. Note that Alesia is jumping in her Mongolian birthday outfit and Chris managed to demonstrate some Australian cultural heritage by providing an example of classic Peter Garret Midnight Oil dancing.



Alesia likes to take photos. At the Friday night vespers she wandered around for some time taking photos of groups of people. She was very articulate in explaining how she wanted people to stand, when they should smile, etc. I will create a post of Alesia's pictures soon.



Enid arranged the three-week program for the kids. She did a wonderful job and all the kids had a great time. Alesia brought home a folder of craft and activities almost as big as the folder of papers and activities that Chris and I had. I know the girls will miss her. Alesia now has friends in South Korea, Bangladesh, Guam, India, Azerbaijan and Nepal to add to her good friends in Sydney and Melbourne.

More photos and stories soon....