Sunday, November 30, 2008

Happy Birthday Keira

Keira turned two today. We celebrated for her and by the end of the day she was singing "happy birthday" to herself. We have Chris' first art exhibition on the wall - three abstract renderings of the number "two". The biggest hit were the strings of balloons that we hung from the ceiling. Alesia invited all her friends. We made sure that Keira's two best friends (Ella and Manon) were also there. Alesia also enjoyed most of Keira's presens. Keira will enjoy discovering them during the coming week (Sallymae, the picnic set is a hit). We decided to invite quite a few people, as it is a kind of farewell for us before we head south for Christmas. A family we are good friends with are moving to Sierra Leone, and the party was the last time we will see the husband (bye Michel). That is the sad thing about our life, we make many new friends but people are always moving on. I spent much of the weekend cooking and found a recipe for decadant chocolate muffins that is definitely worth dying for. We ended up with an ocean theme cake after I spilled a lot of blue colouring into the butter icing. I had home-made chocolates in the shape of dophins and shells, so the theme worked. I had fun "painting" waves onto the chocolate cake. Anyway, enjoy the photos. They are straight off the camera as I can't be bothered doing any editing tonight. More are on my Facebook page. I am off for a hot bath. Then onto our last week or work before a long summer in Australia!



Making the cake....or rather cleaning up the bowl after Mum made the cake



Great children's artist at work



The exhibition



Opening presents in PJ's - a family tradition, except Keira had to wait for Alesia to wake up, and then Chris to wake up!



Playing with the picnic set. Alesia is warming up for her ballet class



Party time - Keira with Ella (middle) and Manon (looking away) in the bouncy thing



Keira gives Nyama a kiss when she called in to deliver her presents (Keira is wearing one of them)



Happy Birthday time - I really should have done a close up of the cake.



Chris joins the family - he felt that a party called for the Indonesian party shirt



Keira and her two good friends - Ella (left) and Manon (centre). All of them were trying hard to "take turns' with the presents. As good friends both Ella and Manon were very helpful in opening Keria's gifts