Thursday, June 25, 2009

Sticking it to the leafminers

My gardening experiment continues. My tomatoes have turned into monsters. Due to the move I have put them in my office and now have a steady stream of visitors to admire the 40 or so green tomatoes sitting nicely on the plant (Chris has the other one in his office - every ADRA country director needs to have tomatoes in their office!) I have put sunflowers, bortolli beans, watermelon, pumpkin, corn and cucumber in the garden patch outside the office. They will have to survive over the weekends without water, so we will see how they go.



At the new apartment I have all the pots that I had in the old apartment. I have been doing battle lately with leafminers in my basil and lettuce. Today I read up on how to identify the early stages of leafminer attack and noticed one of my basil plants was about to be attacked. The first advice is to remove the leaves and destroy them. I figured that I didn't want to waste the leaves so turned them into pesto! Take that leafminer - you can add some B12 to my next dish of pasta. Who said I was vegetarian! Below is the pesto I made this afternoon, shining in green glory next to a jar of pale sickly looking commercial pesto. I won't tell the girls about the bugs though!