Hi everyone... Chris here. .. not as good looking as Michelle but much more betterer at cricket and word-smithering.
Well, other than me getting the flu this week and turning 35 today (What was that? That was your life. Can I have it back sir? Ahhh, No. D'Oh!), it was a pivotal week in the evolution of Mongolia.
Yes, you guessed it, I moved office.
What was amazing was the speed. As you may know I have been used to the pacific lethargy and Australian ambivalence for too long. What I was yet to experience was the efficiency of an ex-communist heirachy.
Without planning and in the space of 4 days we had moved my office into the staff room. The finance team, into my previous and spacious office and then moved all my (what word can I use instead of crap? I cant think of anything?oh well...) umm... stuff into what was the finance office. But also they painted every wall and ceiling with cheap korean paint. Twice. And let it dry in between.
I was impressed. Still my office is a more post-modernist anarchial system of order. See my previous bathroom tiling work!
Well, other than me getting the flu this week and turning 35 today (What was that? That was your life. Can I have it back sir? Ahhh, No. D'Oh!), it was a pivotal week in the evolution of Mongolia.
Yes, you guessed it, I moved office.
What was amazing was the speed. As you may know I have been used to the pacific lethargy and Australian ambivalence for too long. What I was yet to experience was the efficiency of an ex-communist heirachy.
Without planning and in the space of 4 days we had moved my office into the staff room. The finance team, into my previous and spacious office and then moved all my (what word can I use instead of crap? I cant think of anything?oh well...) umm... stuff into what was the finance office. But also they painted every wall and ceiling with cheap korean paint. Twice. And let it dry in between.
I was impressed. Still my office is a more post-modernist anarchial system of order. See my previous bathroom tiling work!
The paint was an issue. I initially said "Get the good quality paint". The maintenance guy just looked me.
Ulzii, is a great guy, helpful and friendly. He can speak about as much English as I can Mongolian. So we communicate through physical actions (primarily my arms and head movements) so there is no change in the way I talk anyway. So, he often just looks at me. I can say 'OK' - 'Za' and 'Yes' - 'Tiime'. I just use them at the wrong time, anyway I am trying...
OK, good US paint is 36000T (approx A$36) for a 4Litre container and the Korean paint is 10000T (approx $10) for the same amount and then there is the Chinese option. Anything Chinese in Mongolia is scathing language inferring contempt and poor workmanship. I think the Chinese also think similarly about the Mongolians. Evidence is the Great wall of China, built to keep (the rabbits out!) the Mongolian hordes out, Genghis (Chinggis in Mongolia!) Khan and his family.
So I wasn't allowed to buy the ridiculously cheap Chinese option and it was made obviously clear that the US paint was too expensive. I didn't give in straight away. What about cleaning? Washing? Surely we should use the US wash and wear paint?
One aspect of the culture here is the automatic respect that everyone has for the boss. I am called Director by every Mongolian here, Dargaa in Mongolian. So I can get my own way, even if I am odd (Australian?) and make bizarre choices. But, its clear that I can make the wrong choice but its better if I make the right choice. Sounds like early morning singing and dancing evangelists...
We got the Korean Paint. And the reason for that is the (what word can use instead of crap again?) poor cleaning ethic here. There is no preparation. Just paint over the dirt, its OK. And if you can still see it, paint again. And another coat.
So the Korean paint was great. We marked the new walls when we moved the finance desk in. So we just painted over it. Again. They did the same in our kitchen - five weeks later the mould in the ceiling corners is coming through again...
I think that my filing and cleaning ethic is suited to this place.