Monday, March 17, 2008

What wedding anniversary?

15 March 2008

Chris is in a soum (small town/village) somewhere tonight that doesn’t have mobile phone access. He went to the local post office and paid for 12 minutes of call time to call me. I had not heard from him in three days – during which time Keira got a haircut, we got a new cable connection, we got a home phone installed and I sold our house in Australia. We exchanged news and then he wished me happy 10th wedding anniversary. I had gone through the whole day not knowing what the date was....We both agreed that we had no idea on this day 10 years ago that we would be in Mongolia on this day in 2008. Then we went on to talk about the colds that Alesia, Keira and Natalie have, and that I am trying to avoid by living on Vit C.


Conversations
Today I walked up the stairs to church and was greeted by a 12 year old American missionary named BJ: “You look bad”. Granted, Alesia has had me up several times a night for the past four nights, I left it too long to have a shower this morning and the hot water was gone and I have been wearing variations of the same set of clothes since we arrived (our boxes should get here in the next few weeks). Still, I decided that BJ was old enough to learn something about the ways of women and told him he should never tell a lady that she looked bad. His mother was standing nearby and suggested that he could say that I looked tired instead.


Nymaa has put a Mongolian/English dictionary on our book shelf. It is a big hefty tome. I mentioned it to her and she said she used it to look up words Alesia says. She then complained “But I can’t find two words.” I asked what the words where. “Yucky and yummy”.



Pictured are Alesia and Keira involved in Vegetales “Jonah” late on Saturday afternoon (it is light until 7pm now!) This is the first time they have been dressed the same – as both have expensive grey thermals and navy dresses. So this is what they wore to church today. We were invited to lunch with the Country Director of Save the Children in Mongolia. He is an SDA who used to work with ADRA Mong
olia a few years ago. He and his wife have three children. The eldest is a six year old girl who speaks Japanese (Dad), Mongolian (Mum) and English (school). Her name is Miki and she became instant friends with Alesia. We will visit them during the week after school so they can play together.